Before completing a Petition for Degree Requirements form, please make sure that the following items are complete:
- The course you are petitioning appears in your Course History on Gold with the final grade (only courses taken for a letter grade will be accepted).
- You have confirmed with a Comm Advisor that your course is pre-approved to fulfill a pre-major or major requirement. You can confirm that EAP courses are pre-approved here.
If your course has not been pre-approved, please send an email to your Comm Advisors (email@example.com) that includes the following information:
- The institution you attended (include the country and city if EAP)
- Title of the course and course number
- A PDF of the course syllabus that includes the following:
- Course description
- Detailed weekly schedule
- List of required texts
- Your perm number
SUBMISSION OF AN ONLINE PETITION DOES NOT GUARANTEE APPROVAL FOR COURSES THAT HAVE NOT ALREADY BEEN GRANTED DEPARTMENTAL APPROVAL
When submitting your Petition for Degree Requirements form, please keep the following in mind:
- You must be logged in to your UCSB Google account to submit the form
- Do not submit multiple forms for the same petition
- Processing may take up to 4 weeks
Petitioning a Pre-Major Requirement
If you are petitioning courses to fulfill a pre-major requirements, please keep in mind that only courses taken at UCSB will count toward your pre-major GPA. If you wish to undo a petition you will need to speak with a Comm Advisor in person as soon as possible. Students who took a class P/NP toward the pre-major requirements prior to deciding to pursue the Comm major will need to submit a Grading Option Change petition.
Petitioning a Major Requirement
Students may petition an upper-division (UD) course taken at another institution (e.g. UC Online) or an EAP course to count toward the 40 units of UD COMM coursework requirement. Courses must be taken for a letter grade and must transfer back as UD to count toward your degree. Students who have declared degree candidacy will have expedited processing.
UPDATE: Effective December 2023, elective courses listed on the Communication Major Sheet no longer require a petition to count toward your Communication Degree (The 8 unit limitation to these courses still applies). Students can verify that the courses have been added toward their degree by running a major progress check on Gold. Please do not submit a petition for these courses if they are already included in your major progress check.
*Students will not receive an email notification that their petition has been processed. Please check Gold to view if your petition has been processed.*