The UCSB Department of Communication Graduate Student Advisory Committee to the Chair (GSACC) was created in January 2006 to present graduate students’ interests to the faculty in order to promote healthy communication and prevent problems from fomenting.
GSACC consists of seven members: The all-graduate representative, a TA liaison, and representatives from each of the following stages of degree progress:
- First year students
- MA coursework students
- PhD coursework (and quals)
- Doctoral candidates (students who have passed their qualifying exams)
All representatives except the TA liaison are elected by the department's graduate student body, with elections held at the end of each calendar year (for service the following calendar year).
- Prior to faculty meetings (usually once per month) to discuss any reports the all-grad rep should make to the faculty
- Once per quarter with the student body to discuss ongoing issues or concerns
- Once per quarter with the department chair to report on ongoing issues or concerns
GSACC also helps organize formal and informal department events for its graduate students, including a Welcome BBQ in the fall, New Admit Weekend in the winter, and social events throughout the year.
If you have any questions or concerns about anything related to graduate life in the department, please don't hesitate to be in touch!
Members effective Spring 2023:
- All-Grad Rep: Cynthia McLeod
- Departmental Climate Chair: Kylie Woodman
- 1st Year Representative: Veronica Wilson
- MA Representative: Chloe Gonzales
- PhD Representative: Sungbin Youk
- ABD Representative: Allison Mazur
- Knowledge Base Coordinator: Brittany Wheeler
- Communication Chair: Lindsay Miller
- Office Representatives: Nancy Molina-Rogers & Minghui Wang
- TA Liaisons: Nancy Molina-Rogers & Laurent Wang
- External Outreach Coordinator: Hyojin "Jamie" Lee
- DEI Graduate Representative: Chengyu Fang