Comm 197 provides an opportunity for declared Pre-Communication and Communication majors to obtain credit for career-related experience and application of academic training in a communication-related internship.
Please read the following prerequisites and course enrollment information carefully and contact the Comm Department Internship Coordinator or Undergraduate Advising Office with any questions.
- This course is worth 1 unit of P/NP credit. This does NOT count toward the UD Comm major.
- This course can be taken up to 5 times, allowing for students to complete multiple internships.
- Student must be declared as a Pre-Comm or Comm major.
- Student must have at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA.
- Student must secure a minimum of 50 hours of internship work to be completed over the course of the quarter prior to receiving instructor approval.
- Thoroughly read the Comm 197 Guidelines, Internship Contract and Final Paper Guidelines (available at comm.ucsb.edu and in the Undergraduate Advising Office).
- Stop by the Undergraduate Advising Office (SSMS 4005) to receive verification of eligibility.
- Secure 50 hour internship and complete Internship Contract with your supervisor.
- Submit Internship Contract to Internship Coordinator by 4PM on 2nd Wednesday of quarter.
- Enroll in GOLD via add code issued by Internship Coordinator.
- Student must submit completed Internship contract detailing the nature of the work they will be responsible for, complete with their supervisor’s signature.
- Student must complete 50 hours of internship work over the course of the quarter in which they are enrolled in Comm 197.
- Student must submit final five-page paper to Gauchospace by last day of the quarter (Friday of finals week).
- Supervisor must submit letter of verification to Internship Coordinator by last day of the quarter (Friday of finals week). Letters of verification must include dates of employment, number of hours completed, and a supervisor’s signature. Please email letters of verification to firstname.lastname@example.org.