Communication Alumni Council
The Communication Alumni Council was formed in the Fall of 2009 and had their first meeting in April, 2010. The goals of the Council are to foster interactions between alumni and the Department and between students and alumni. Its specific purposes are to:
- Strength en the Department's relationship with the alumni community
- Enhance public awareness of and support for the Department
- Help raise financial contributions for Departmental needs
- Initiate innovative outreach programs
- Help students find career opportunities
- Assist in other ways as the Department Chair may request to promote the goals and mission of the Department and the University
Membership in the Alumni Council is by invitation only and includes a financial commitment of $1,000 annually ($500 for alumni who have graduated within the last ten years). Member dues are used to support the Council’s activities and Departmental initiatives such as career development, scholarships, and lectures. Council members commit to a three-year term and attend two meetings per year. See the bios of the Council’s current members.
The Alumni Council sponsors a Communication Career Day each spring in conjunction with All Gaucho Reunion, an Internship Workshop, and other career education and networking projects. In addition, they assist the Department with development activities and giving campaigns for special Departmental needs.
Alumni Council members also are members of the Chancellor's Council, UC Santa Barbara’s premier annual giving program, which recognizes a special group of investors for their annual gifts to the University. Council members are invited to all campus and regional events, including departmental activities, lectures, and conferences. Membership also includes campus parking and library privileges, and recognition in the Annual Report and Donor Honor Roll. Click to read about the Council’s Mission, Membership, and Meetings.
If you are interested in the Alumni Council, please contact Professor Linda Putnam, Department of Communication Chair.
Alumni Council Committees
- Alumni Web Pages: Mary Shirley, Chair; Vicki Prentice Rubin, Linda Putnam
- Career Day: Kibibi Springs and Anna Laura Jansma, Co-Chairs; Laura Roenick
- Funding Opportunities: Jonathan DeLong, Chair, Fran Mancia, Kamyab Sadaghiani, Karen Myers
- Internship Workshop: Anna Laura Jansma, Chair; Laura Roenick, Kibibi Springs